Thursday 27 August 2015

English and Me.

How to write this.

Okay. Guess I just write whatever that pops into my head.
*sleepy*

I think my English writing skills are getting worst. Not only writing skills but my speaking skills as well. In this new team I stutter a lot, stumbled upon my own word and it turns out ridiculous when I speak with them, sometimes it took so long for me to finish one whole sentences and they’ll just nodding, smiling and continuing work without me finishing it. Sad! I wanted to have conversation, sharing some jokes but with my weaknesses, I am not able to do so - without feeling awkward. I keep on checking my grammar and sentences as I am writing this – to ensure that I get the benefits of practicing my writing skills and improving my grammar. 

I love English since I was a child, for me it’s a beautiful language. My mom bought us a lot of Fairytales, encyclopedia in English (kisah-kisah Nabi dan Rasul pun ada juga). English is the only subject besides Bahasa Melayu, Sejarah and Pendidikan Agama Islam that I can excel. Maths? Not my specialty. Add maths?  A BIG NO NO. I started to talk in English during my school years but end up being called “poyo” and other kinds of insults. My mom, sister, teacher and aunt is the best supporter. They told me not to give up and keep on practicing English. 

During primary school my English teacher made us sang "Wednesday is English day" every Wednesday of course, and we will have a spelling test and some other fun activities. 

My sister and I – we share the same reading passion, we exchange books with each other, borrowing from school library because we can’t afford to buy our own (or going to MPH just to read books for free). Then I met one special friend who wanted to speak English, her English is very good (she reads a LOT of Harry Potter and some other good stuff), she encouraged me to speak English. I learnt a lot from her. We speak English in school despite of all the “ejek-ejek”, in UITM the courses are all in English + presentations (except CTU/TITAS) plus having internship at IBM requires me to speak English most of the time, and Alhamdulillah my English is getting better day by day.

But that was 2-3 years ago. My skills has turned rusty. I need to improve back my English. So I’ll try to make some time to write (any topics) and published it in my blog.

Why English matters?

Despite my love for English (I would love to learn other languages too!) I strongly believe English is important if you want to excel in your studies and work life. In most companies (especially multinational companies -MNC), candidates with good English skills normally gets the spotlight, even though their scores are average. This is based on my experience – true life experience. 

For those who wanted to learn and speak English, don't wait. Do it. Start! Every big change starts with a small step. Pedulikan segala ejek-ejek orang, they are just jelly plus lack of love maybe? 

Until then.


No comments:

Post a Comment